Thursday, February 11, 2010

Membranes, Adhesions and Shunts oh my

So, after a day of extreme fussiness, lethargy, seizures, EEG, CT scan, more fussiness, even more lethargy and a helping of bradycardia M's neurosurgeon decided to take her to surgery tonight instead of waiting until tomorrow morning.

His response to surgery is usually "it went great", "things look good", etc. Tonight his response was a tentative "it went....okay." Not good enough, but it's what we get this time. It seems my girl likes to quickly build up membranes and adhesions and close all of her little pathways off so her CSF cannot drain properly.

Ultimately, the surgeon felt his and her best option at this time was two shunts. Again, not ideal - 2 shunts means 2 more sources of potential complications. Hopefully this will be the answer for her, though.

For now, we wait, as always, to see if she develops problems or if....dare I say it....we actually get to go home soon.


janiece said...

Ok--time to hope that this is the solution. For goodness sake! Oh and the word verification is "blesses"--hummm--someone trying to say something??

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you and your family. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Good Luck! I hope you have a good day, all day, today!
You are due for one. Thinking of you.